Monday, April 6, 2015

Thou Shalt Not Litter

One of the craziest things about living in Naples, Italy was how nonchalant they were about ignoring a social norm that is ingrained in most Americans. So much so, that I still feel guilty for a plastic cup flying out of my hands at the East Aurora Easter Egg Hunt hosted by the nursing home two days ago. DO NOT LITTER. 

Even in Rome, Italians were unconcerned with this American Sin. My good friend, Lorainne and I, were walking out of the Vatican behind a group of nuns when one of them violated this fundamental edict. She blew her nose in a tissue and very purposefully discarded the nasty to her side. We were shocked. Although, I am not sure why, this was not the first liter transgression we had witnessed, but this was the first from a nun, whom we held to a higher standard. We briefly considered confronting our pious offender, but decided against it. The possibility of holy retribution was too overwhelming.


When I first moved to Italy, one of the largest culture shocks to my system was getting used to the amount of trash on the sides of the roads. I would have to drive very defensively from my apartment to the military base, darting and weaving between oncoming trash bags. You see, garbage collection was very expensive, so, often, a national would dispose of their bulging kitchen bag through the drivers side window, thus causing chaos on the road. The flow of traffic and the wind would manipulate the garbage off to the side, where someone later would throw a match and the piles of trash would go up-in-smoke.   

While I absolutely loved my years in Italy, I always kept my eyes up, enjoying the wonderful architecture, the amazing view of the Mediterranean, and hosts of loving Neapolitans.   

Italians are not the only violators, it turns out Ethiopians chuck their fair share of trash as well. I brought two of my children home from the airport in Rochester to Canton, their first car ride in American, not knowing the cardinal rule (a substantial rule that must not be broken at anytime!) My new Americans rolled down the car window and tested the  flight path of a box of french fries. I was horrified. I pulled over, ran and picked up the box and tried my best to explain the "Thou Shalt Not Litter" commandment. They thought it was hysterical, this crazed woman who cared so much for their french fries. However, I have succeeded in indoctrinating them and it is doubtful that any of my children would ever be violators again.

Although, I had put forth intense effort in chasing that plastic cup the wind has claimed a few days ago, I am still left feeling like a capital sinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment